Topics

Getting more from less #agriculture

mikethewormguy

Good Day,

We are at the end of our growing season here.  Part of our growing focus is growing fewer plants but optimizing production.

This season we grew 15 indeterrminant tomato plants which were planted in early June, started harvesting mid-July thru mid-October resulting in 238lbs of tomatoes.

We also grew 18 hot and sweet peppers planted and harvested like the tomatoes.  We harvested 102lbs of peppers.

We used biomass chars in different ways and times inconjunction with other approaches to produce these results.

Some details about our approach have been just posted on our Green Quest LLC www.onagreenquest.net.....

We are happy to answer questions and connect a dot or two......

As you know the above results do not happen overnight........

my 2 cents,

Mike

John Herrick

Sorry.”...server cannot s found”. JH

John Herrick
San Jose, CA

On Oct 29, 2020, at 8:14 PM, mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy@...> wrote:

Good Day,

We are at the end of our growing season here.  Part of our growing focus is growing fewer plants but optimizing production.

This season we grew 15 indeterrminant tomato plants which were planted in early June, started harvesting mid-July thru mid-October resulting in 238lbs of tomatoes.

We also grew 18 hot and sweet peppers planted and harvested like the tomatoes.  We harvested 102lbs of peppers.

We used biomass chars in different ways and times inconjunction with other approaches to produce these results.

Some details about our approach have been just posted on our Green Quest LLC www.onagreenquest.net.....

We are happy to answer questions and connect a dot or two......

As you know the above results do not happen overnight........

my 2 cents,

Mike

Nando Breiter

Remove the dots from the url.

https://onagreenquest.net/

The Groups software that runs this discussion list automatically creates a link from text that looks like a url, and that link creation code doesn't strip invalid characters off the end of text that looks like a url...

CarbonZero Sagl
CP 15
6999 Astano
Switzerland

+41 76 303 4477 cell / WhatsApp
skype: ariamedia

On Oct 29, 2020, at 8:14 PM, mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good Day,

We are at the end of our growing season here.  Part of our growing focus is growing fewer plants but optimizing production.

This season we grew 15 indeterrminant tomato plants which were planted in early June, started harvesting mid-July thru mid-October resulting in 238lbs of tomatoes.

We also grew 18 hot and sweet peppers planted and harvested like the tomatoes.  We harvested 102lbs of peppers.

We used biomass chars in different ways and times inconjunction with other approaches to produce these results.

Some details about our approach have been just posted on our Green Quest LLC www.onagreenquest.net.....

We are happy to answer questions and connect a dot or two......

As you know the above results do not happen overnight........

my 2 cents,

Nando Breiter
http://biochar.info
CarbonZero Sagl
Astano, Switzerland

mikethewormguy

Good Day,

Some followup.......

Attached are 3 pictures.......

1. a 360 degree root nest in side walls of clay pot hole at the end of this season.
2. a close up of a healthy root network embedded in side wall.
3. a picture showing the filled clay pot holes in this seasons pepper bed.  Note the cut pepper plant stems, as well as, the layout of the pot holes and their relationship to the cut stems. All of the pepper stems had lignified by October. Some of plant stems were 1.5 inches in diameter...

Also calculated our cucumber harvest......

4 pickling cucumbers plants.....59lbs...

4 slicing cucumbers plants......98lbs

All of our produce harvest was both eaten fresh, as well as, processed via canning and freezing into future eats.......

All of residue from processing our vegetables goes back into our garden soil after it has been first silaged.

Part of the reason for our healthy yields is because of the use of watering holes in the garden and using moisture retaining biomass char.  Thus our plants never shut down due to water stress.

1 more cent,

Oooooops.....here is the picture of the filled clay pot holes.......

John Herrick

Thank you. JH

On Oct 30, 2020, at 2:39 AM, Nando Breiter <nando@...> wrote:

[...]

Geoff Thomas

Good stuff Mike, just wanted a comment if you like on a side issue.

I went to sleep with 8 Pork sausages on the stove, predictably the house was filled with smoke, the which took a while to be expunged.
Then I left these sausages, in a shallow disc out in the weather, - no mould, rot, of any description, etc. several months, at all.

Then I placed them in one of my Active worm farms, - 6 months, no change at all that I could see.

So I am asking, what is the way to treat Meat biochar?

Hoping you have some thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.