High Plains Biochar weekly update for 4-23-21

Tom Miles

This should be of interest to the list:

Hello friends,

As many of you know we were recently accepted into the gBETA business accelerator program and are going to be keeping you updated on our progress. Please feel free to reach out with any questions, ideas, thoughts, etc... after reviewing the information. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend!

High Plains Biochar is creating the first biochar co-op in which members can generate income from carbon credits by producing biochar. High Plains Biochar’s proprietary carbon-negative technology enables anyone with a waste stream (such as wood chips) to create both heat and biochar, a charcoal-like substance typically used as a soil amendment. The co-op will remotely monitor the amount of carbon that is produced, verify with blockchain technology and distribute carbon-credit payments to individual member producers. High Plains Biochar is currently operating a pilot unit to demonstrate how the technology runs on 75% less energy, and plans to launch the co-op in late 2021.

Help Wanted/Asks:

  • High Plains Biochar is currently seeking strategic partners to commercialize this technology.
  • We are also looking for help with patenting this technology.

Highlights:

  • High Plains Biochar is very excited to be a part of the gBETA Cheyenne program.
  • Our working pilot unit continues testing and research on this carbon-negative technology as we work toward commercialization.

Lowlights:

  • Unsuccessful previous funding requests and partnerships have led us to focus on a regional and national level.

Product:

  • Our product is a combined heat-and-biochar (CHAB) unit that is extremely energy efficient. We have demonstrated the technology with a pilot unit and are now planning to commercialize and scale up.
  • Our newest development is www.BiocharCO-OP.com, a platform where members can generate income by making biochar (which itself can be sold or used to improve soil) as well as selling the associated carbon credits through the co-op.

KPIs/Core Metrics:

  • Goal: Meet with 10+ potential early adopters
  • 3-4 biochar production units manufactured and distributed by the end of 2021

Business Development:

  • High Plains Biochar has been making and selling biochar since 2016 and became profitable in 2019.
  • We are now pivoting from making and selling biochar to designing and building biochar manufacturing equipment based on the carbon-negative technology we have been developing the last two years.
  • High Plains Biochar is creating the first biochar co-op where biochar producers can market carbon credits collectively.
  • We have also had multiple interested parties reaching out after watching our video of the pilot unit operating.

Hiring:

  • Not currently hiring.
  • One part-time employee along with contracted help for bookkeeping, website development, graphic design, etc.

Financing:

  • $20,000 in biochar inventory (this pivot is funded through the proceeds of selling biochar)
  • $2,000 in in the bank
  • No significant ongoing expenses

Press:

Kudos:

  • High Plains Biochar would like to thank Baylie Evans for taking a chance on us.
  • We would also like to thank Matt Henley with Fabrication Associates for showing interest in building the first units.
  • Thanks to the mentor swarm for taking the time to meet  the 2021 Cheyenne gBETA Cohort. Shout out to Ryan Alford with EDG for going above and beyond with advice on controls and remote operation leading to some new ideas.
  • Thanks to Melissa Leung with GECA Environmental for the education on carbon credits.

Rowdy Yeatts

High Plains Biochar LLC

108 Howe Rd

Laramie, WY 82070