How to make money and sell biochar

Tom Miles

Robert Lehmert

This is a new announcement of availability of a new supplier of CORCs by Puro.
What is remarkable about this is the purity — 94% carbon — and the offering price — 150€ per tonne CO2e. That puts the carbon removal attributes of one tonne of this biochar at 3.2 tonnes of CO2e, or about $576 per tonne of biochar
The price reflects the half-life of this carbon. Because it is so pure, it is more resistant to degradation through microbial activity. (Its initial use is probably not in soils — but the potential to persist for millennia is inherent.)
Sounds like tulip mania to me, but it here we are. Too much demand; not enough supply.