New anti-biochar paper section 1

Geoff Thomas

 I think it is quite doable to answer this anti Biochar paper, some of it is simply mistaken set theory, - you have all probably heard errors of same, - eg, all rats have 4 legs, - you want me to ride a rat?
Putting it into sections might make it easier, then we can just answer the bits in each section under that section, I plan to do all sections, have removed all photos, advertising, etc etc. my comments in red, if you follow them directly yours should be also red.
I have also taken the liberty of numbering the sections, so replies and comments from all will make sense, hoping everyone will agree to that structure!

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.
Section 1

y Andrea Beste, originally published by ARC2020
April 8, 2Print
Ed. note: This article first appeared on ARC2020.eu. ARC2020 is a platform for agri-food and rural actors working towards better food, farming, and rural policies for Europe.
Carbon farming is a new buzz word, hotly debated in the EU Commission, in European Ministries and Chambers of Agriculture, and the subject of numerous projects and movements. It is in fact proposed as an ecoscheme by the Commission.  So far, however, there is no binding definition of “carbon farming” and there seem to be many different understandings of the term. What most approaches have in common is the objective of storing carbon in the soil in some way. Soil Scientist Dr. Andrea Beste unpacks some important points for this contested approach to soil and land management.
So that was the editors note, he uses 8 conflict mentions, - sounds a bit like a cigarette defence, - whatever.. G

"In 2018, the Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry Regulation (LULUCF) [1] was adopted. Its commitments are to be included in the new EU energy and climate policy framework for the period of 2021 – 2030. The expectation is that this will contribute to the EU target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55 percent by 2030 compared to 1990 levels. In this context, the EU Commission’s Farm to Fork Strategy supports CO2 certificates for agriculture.
In my opinion, this is neither constructive nor productive. When it comes to humus and soils, the focus must be on soil fertility, ecosystem services and greater resilience to climate change, and not on CO2 sequestration, certificate trading and carbon storage. Considering an isolated factor within an agricultural ecosystem in purely economic terms does not put enough value on ecosystem services and risks incentivising the adoption of one-sided measures.

This is an opinion, although the article was given a lot of beat-up. however she is making several contestable arguments, the which need to be dealt with at the same level, - firstly those in bold, where she lays out her argument that for humus and soils various things are important and other things not, - it is important to mention that the entire discussion is not just about humus and soils, - she is trying to use a very small set to leverage her arguments, the which are about at least global climate change, world soil health, and probably survival of our civilisation.
Therefore she does wrong by saying that CO2 sequestration, certificate trading and carbon storage are not part of the discussion, at least without any proof whatever, and also in that naming implies other like solutions would be unable to help.
Her final sentence, (my underline) puts out a series of personal values, - eg about economics, that are neither defensible nor explicated, particularly when it contains incentivising the adoption of one-sided measures'
Thus ends section 1, next section is

The priority – Reducing GHG emissions in Agriculture (to be continued)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 9:35 AM Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:
Tom;

I absolutely agree with every comment you made about the German soil scientist. Could not agree more.

As I recall you have a home in Anacortes? Sometime, enroute from Portland to Anacortes why don't you stop by my place and I will give you the $0.25 tour of what we have accomplished with biochar as a soil amendment for agriculture. You are welcome anytime. Frankly anyone on this blog is welcome to the $0.25 tour if you are ever in the area. There are so many examples here at our place on the value of biochar nutrient balancing rotational grazing using chickens and common sense composting that, we still find it astonishing how productive our family garden is.

If you say please I will show you version 22 of my TLUD which I think we will be testing for emissions at Aprovecho probably in August.

Norm