The First Farmer in the US to Sequester Carbon for Cash Earns $115,000 For His New Planting Strategies #carbon #market

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 02:57 PM, Tom Miles wrote:

 Tom,

This why I asked the question about what does a biochar application in the Ecosystem Services sector look like in order to pencil out.

Assuming I am seeing this right........

For example, a farmer stores 2 ton CO2 per acre annually.  Based on current values this represents $30.

So let's assume that 20% of that $30 is spent on biochar application which means $6 per acre.

If I am not missing something than what does a $6 per acre biochar app. look like.

My experience says that there is a place for biomass char in the Ecosystem Services sector but what outcomes pay for the char application will not be Carbon Storage, as it is currently valued.

Off to get more wood for the heater. The high temp here was minus 6 F with a windchill of minus 30 F.  BRrrrrrrrrr...!

my 2 cents,
Mike

Kathleen Draper

Do we know if this is $15 per ton of CARBON or per ton of CO2e? It was hard to tell on their website.

Either way the price per ton that NORI is offering is much lower than what Puro or Carbon Future are getting for biochar. Their price point is close to what carbon offsets are selling for and I think removals should be valued higher than reduction, though both are needed.

Paul S Anderson

Kathleen and all,

Your message refers to :

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/us-policy-to-feature-carbon-credits-from-regenerative-farming-practices/

That is regenerative agriculture.   I am sure that it refers to t CO2e, not to t of Carbon (like biochar).    The selling price of US$16.50 is very good for the farmer.   He is fortunate.

An increase of living organic matter in the soil and/or the increase of dead but static organic matter in the soil is all subject to natural decay.   It can be valid sequestration for as long as it is maintained.   Easier said than done, and at constant risk of either the plow or industrial fertilizers that can hurt the microbes, etc.

The world needs all the sequestration possible, but his method will certainly not earn the  price for biochar which was about $65 to $100 in the past months on Puro, etc.     And they ran out of t CO2e to sells.   Buyers included Microsoft and Stripe.

The issue for biochar is how to “prove” that the biochar became forever unburnable (as in “sequestered thinly in soil”)

I work on these issues of recording and verifying and eventual certification by “officials”.

About 300  - 350 kg (~700 – 800 pounds) of reasonable biochar into soil can / should qualify for about 1 t CO2e and fetch a price of $100.    That is for the sequestration act, not for the physical biochar.

If anyone is currently placing such quantities of biochar into soil (preferably on some regular schedule and in clearly defined places OR maybe in bags of compost), please contact me with you details.      psanders@...

If we are going to discuss BIOCHAR sequestration and its CDR value (excluding improved plant growth), please change the subject line to something like

 Biochar sequestration financial value.      Or    Biochar value for carbon dioxide removal (CDR)

Paul

Many vegetation-based carbon

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources

Do we know if this is $15 per ton of CARBON or per ton of CO2e? It was hard to tell on their website.

Either way the price per ton that NORI is offering is much lower than what Puro or Carbon Future are getting for biochar. Their price point is close to what carbon offsets are selling for and I think removals should be valued higher than reduction, though both are needed.

Both topics are germane to the article cited. Please do not change the subject line because it disrupts tracking the thread for the searchable archive.

Thanks

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles@...
Sent from mobile.

[...]

Tom Miles

PA>The issue for biochar is how to “prove” that the biochar became forever unburnable (as in “sequestered thinly in soil”)

Paul,

That is all defined in the methodology, testing, and third party verification for each market, It is never “forever” but a defined period with specified rates of decay. That is why IBI and EBC developed standards and certification for biochar. Puro and Carbon Future require these certifications, plus a life cycle assessment of the process from cradle to cradle or cradle to gate for trading.

Tom