Update from the moderator(s)

Ron Larson

 Hi all:

The real moderrtor of both lists is/was Tom Miles - but when I’m not being kicked off for my server having sent back a junk mail notice, I was/am the ‘'biochar’ list helper to Tom.  So I am here only adding to Nando’s explanation

The Google version simply morphed into the io version.  For most of us the change was not noticed at all.

Thanks to both Alex and Nando for their kind words - that are well deserved - by Tom

For the sake of history, let me add that there haa been considerable char-list morphing - since 1996.

a.  In 1996, Tom asked me to be a co-cordinator of a new list to be called “stoves” - because I was talking  in late 1995 about charcoal-making stoves on a Tom Miles list he called ‘“bioenergy” (or similar)
(those early year records are lost - but I believe we are up to 2 char lists by 2000)
b.   About 2000, Andrew Heggie replaced me as Tom’s helper and still is doing so. About 1000 members there now. I think  - with considerable list overlap.
(Still some serious stove/char literature there.  i sent one today responding to newly reported great new char-making stove work in the Philippines.)
c.   In 2005,  Tom started a new list to be called ’Terra Preta”, after we heard of a new group forming called “agrichar”
(I’m not sure - but I think most early biochar list discussion stayed with stoves - as today’s 200 or 250 biochar papers per month was then probably 100 times smaller)
d.   In 2007 in Australia, that young ‘agri” group morphed into today’s IBI.   Tom Miles is the most recent past-chair of IBI. )
(The ‘Terra Preta “ list soon (2007?) morphed into today's Biochar list - with several now-disappeared sub-parts (policy for one)  I think we can say maybe 8 biochar lists by 2007.
e.  Now in 2021 ( 25 years after the first discussion of charcoal on a Miles  list), we are up to about 1000 members I believe - and happy at “IO”.  So (for historians), IO is about Miles-Biochar list #10
(IBI has no similar list;  daughter group USBI (Miles as its long-time chair) loosely claims this IO list)
5.   I guess there are maybe 10 more non-Miles lists covering only biochar topics regularly.
(guess their total membership is still under 1000)
6.   There must be another 10 lists where biochar is a major sub-part.
(I have chosen to follow the google list called CDR for short.  Long form is carbon dioxide removal.   The CDR list itself broke away from an earlier list called “geoengineering”, but the word “biochar” still occurs occasionally (and importantly) on the “geo’ list.  Must be an average of 2 or 3 CDR messages per day containing the word “biochar”.  In the early days of GEO, there were about that many per month.)

Anyone care to correct or add to this short biochar list history?  Or on how many biochar list subcategories there will be in anther 10 and 25 years?  I predict maybe 5 and 10 doublings.  This roughly the same as the biochar production doublings at the 10 and 25 year marks.

Apologies for getting so far off the list name topic.

Ron

;

Ron

On Mar 12, 2021, at 6:05 PM, Nando <nando@...> wrote:

There is currently much more activity on this group >  https://biochar.groups.io/g/main so I suggest you join it.

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 2:00:54 AM UTC+1 al...@charboy.com.au wrote:
Hi this is a most promising google group.  Unfortunately the last activity was 8 months ago.  If you are a moderator for this group, would you please speak up and give us an update of your plans with regard to this group.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the recap. There are many biochar discussions on social media. We have tried to keep this list at a high level of technical and practical discussion and to keep it relevant to the smallholder, farmer, producer, researcher and advanced technology developer. There is always turnover but we have been running between 1000 and 1500 subscribers. I view this list as supporting the biochar community around the world. We pay the hosting service and for any additional support as a result of hacking or other vagaries of the internet. We also pay staff for activities associated with the list or related websites. It is a worthwhile communications tool and has been our contribution to the biochar community. We are thankful for the knowledge and the many valuable experiences that are shared on the list. We have been able to archive most of the posts on the Groups.Io website. We have tagged many of the posts to facilitate searches by topic or keyword. We look forward to continued productive discussion and to the expansion and dissemination of our collective wisdom about biochar.

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles@...
Sent from mobile.

On Mar 12, 2021, at 9:09 PM, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

[...]

Benoit Lambert

Ron, Tom, list,

Thank you so much for this retrospective. I never realized how long you guys have been at this. CDR google group is indeed great as it brings to our attention just about everything regarding carbon removal, from bio-sources nature-based solutions to much less natural geo-engineering ones. I believe biochar and soil carbon sequestration techniques have co-benefits geo-engineering do not have, but it is a good thing a debate goes on social medias.

Biochar brought me to follow other bio-sourced climate solutions in regenerative agriculture. In particular, soil4climate does extraordinary work on Facebook. Very recently Gabe Brown, the regenerative ag. hero, was featured in a documentary, Kiss the Ground (Netflix), and, interviewed by the USA Congress ag. Committee. A question was asked about biochar, Gabe made a positive comment, "if local circonstances, as in the North West, are favorable". I also follow the soil-age group, but that is much more confidential.

Finally AirMiners is a bunch of young carbon removal experts that cover all negative emissions technologies (NETs) including direct air capture, BECCS, kelp and so on. IPCC next Assessment Report VI in July will have nine NETs, the first AR in 1990 presented only one, afforestation/reforestation. My estimate is that we might reach twenty or more carbon dioxide removal certificates in the future, there seems to be more appearing every year. Biochar appeared in two IPCC special reports recently, the one on land and 1.5°C. Among little known approach, who heard of inga as an exemple… a fast growing shrub that can store carbon in tropical poor soils making them fertile. What about putting back bisons and wild horses in the Arctic, a strategy Russian scientists are studying using trophic chains to recharge soils in carbon (I join the article below). We might have good surprises in the future, biology is very powerful, yet, still misunderstood and underestimated.

Getting a terraton of carbon dioxide out of the system (1000 GtCO2) is an endeavor of pharaonic dimension. Yet as biochar and other negative emission technologies show, it might reveal a positive turning point for humanity IF we apply quickly what we already know: no-till ag. with cover crops, holistic grazing management, biochar, blue carbon, remineralization of soils, enhanced weathering and many other negative emissions technologies to be revealed.

What the buying of CO2 Removal Certificates (CORCs) from Puro Earth has revealed is what many in this group had already see: biochar is easy to measure, recalcitrant to decomposition, and, does not have to enter in competition with other uses of biomass or lands. Microsoft and Swiss Re. seem to have understood that, choosing biochar as one of their top CORCs buy.

(Gabe Brown discussion with Soil4Climate now posted to YouTube).

Gabe Brown w Soil4Climate: Reflections on Congressional Testimony - Zoom discussion, March 6, 2021
Regenerative agriculture hero, Gabe Brown, of Brown's Ranch, joined the Soil4Climate community for a "fireside chat," reflecting on his historic testimony to the US Congress last week, February, 25, 2021. Mr. Brown was speaking before the House Agriculture Committee hearing on "Climate Change and the U.S. Agriculture and Forestry Sectors." - Finian Makepeace, Policy Director for Kiss The Ground joined the discussion to describe how the Kiss the Ground movie trailer was able to be shown during the hearing and how Gabe Brown was selected to give testimony.
54 minutes of Gabe Brown Congressional testimony here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLMyjUuULM

Dr. Benoit Lambert
Founder and President / Fondateur et président
Cbiochar Inc., https://cbiochar.com
555 Ch. Réal, n° 105,
Sutton, QC, Canada, J0E 2K0
BioGéoThérapiste, auteur/blog https://cologie.wordpress.com
Membre: Stratégie énergétique, biosphère et société, Genève
Reviewer/réviseur IPCC/GIEC, Working Group I (WGI), Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), in particular Chap. 5 Carbon dioxide removal methods/biochar.
Tel: 450 775 7444

Ron