Topics

Using Biochar to Improve Water Quality

Tom Miles

Using the example of our state of Oregon, how can biochars be used to:

·        Helped producers implement conservation

·        Reduce sediment loss

·        Reduce phosphorous loss

·        Reduce nitrogen loss

What cost effective practices can be implemented on farms or in forests?

See:

USDA Announces 2021 Priority Watersheds for Water Quality in Oregon:           http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/or/newsroom/releases/?cid=NRCSEPRD1677414

NRCS encourages state partners to begin collaboration on NWQI priorities for Federal Fiscal Year 2022, which begins on October 1, 2021. See the NRCS website for a list of the watersheds for NWQI.

Water quality is improving in NWQI watersheds. State water-quality agency partners report that 27% of NWQI monitoring watersheds show an improvement in water quality in at least one of the NWQI-monitored pollutants (based on 2016 data). Further, 81% of these improvements can be attributed to or associated with agricultural conservation practices implemented by farmers and ranchers.

Charles Hegberg

Wood chip bioreactors with biochar and modified two stage ditches banks with biochar to increase hyporheic zone. The best approach is to implement regenerative farming practices with water quality treatment areas using biochar in hotspots.

[...]

Harry Groot

Chuck--do you know of installations of this style bioreactor?  I've seen them installed in the upper Midwest using only wood chips, but not with biochar.  Am looking for practical and research-quality results of this practice.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM Charles Hegberg <chegberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Harry –

Yes there are a number of wood chip bioreactors that are adding biochar to them along with what is called 2 stage ditches in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.  The only research I have seen is a bit aged by now by Zac Easton our of VT.  There is other work out of VT as well.  Most other efforts are being done by NPs with a limited amount of data.  Nothing that I have seen on the research level.

[...]

Trevor Richards

Hi Harry,
there may be reports here of interest to you on denitrification bed & (lack of) biochar activity in NZ...