What is needed for Biochar - Entrepreneurs

Rick Wilson

Group,

It strikes me that IBI can and will continue to educate the public on the merits of biochar. The new grant funding enable the group to be even better.

The work that IBI does needs to enable entrepreneurs who can bring the opportunities to reality. What I propose we think about is setting up an accelerator to fund biochar startups.

Here is an example The University of Chicago advancing quantum technologies.

Quantum as you know, is much earlier stage than biochar!
I’m convinced the economics are there for biochar with carbon credits and tipping fees and all the value applications that have been developed.

Rick

Paul S Anderson

Rick,

I want to be supportive of the proposal for “setting up an accelerator to fund biochar startups.“

I feel that the Chicago Quantum Exchange (CQE) is not a great model for us to copy.   4 major universities and 2 national laboratories within close proximity  would be had to match.    Biochar is further along than quantum computing, so the biochar net needs to be more broadly cast, and for actual startups, not just for the advanced research (which biochar still needs in several ways).

Biochar can also attract attention because of the large amounts of thermal energy released (or possible capture of chemicals).   The US DOE has a Loan Programs Office  “LPO has more than $40 billion in loans and loan guarantees available to help deploy large-scale energy infrastructure projects in the United States.”

I hope others will respond to this tread of messages.

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources

It strikes me that IBI can and will continue to educate the public on the merits of biochar. The new grant funding enable the group to be even better.

The work that IBI does needs to enable entrepreneurs who can bring the opportunities to reality. What I propose we think about is setting up an accelerator to fund biochar startups.

Here is an example The University of Chicago advancing quantum technologies.

Quantum as you know, is much earlier stage than biochar!

I’m convinced the economics are there for biochar with carbon credits and tipping fees and all the value applications that have been developed.

Rick

Kim Chaffee

Hi Rick,

I like your idea of IBI’s operating a biochar startup business incubator.  I had the same idea for USBI about a week ago, but hadn’t yet mentioned it to anyone.

From 2010 to 2012 I participated in an incubator run by our utility company here in the Richmond, Virginia area.  It’s called the Dominion Innovation Center.  My invention was a tidal/river turbine.  I had to drop the project as I wasn’t able to attract funding for it.  But I saw how effective the incubator was in greasing the skids for startups to succeed.

The accelerator brought in all kinds of experts to share their knowledge.  The cost was $500 a month.  That was before Zoom. How much easier would it be now with Zoom!  I think this idea for IBI and for USBI is worth further investigation.

Kim

www.dominnovation.com

[...]

Kim that is great experience!  You could be an advisor to the incubator!! The experts at USBI and IBI could advise on the technology.

Some of the potential biochar applications I believe are low hanging fruit for someone who wants to put the time and effort to do some product development work.

Take asphalt for instance, approach an asphalt producing refinery with a presentation showing the benefits as they have been presented in the literature.
Get some seed money, bring in a few super sacks of biochar, have them blend up a batch and do the chemical and physical analyses.
I believe asphalt sells to a spec. No road testing needed!
Now you have proof of concept and your first customer lined up.  You can raise money off of that.

By analogy, just recently I put together all the preparations for a successful $2M series A financing for a company that cleans smoke off of wine grapes exposed to bush fires.
And I found the company the investor, actually we created the company after we had proof of concept, and could demonstrate interested customers for the future.  Below is a link to the promotion video (that my son did).

Now is the time to do this,  everyone wants to fix climate change!!

Rick

On May 1, 2021, at 10:55 AM, Kim Chaffee <kim.chaffee2@...> wrote:

Hi Rick,

I like your idea of IBI’s operating a biochar startup business incubator.  I had the same idea for USBI about a week ago, but hadn’t yet mentioned it to anyone.

From 2010 to 2012 I participated in an incubator run by our utility company here in the Richmond, Virginia area.  It’s called the Dominion Innovation Center.  My invention was a tidal/river turbine.  I had to drop the project as I wasn’t able to attract funding for it.  But I saw how effective the incubator was in greasing the skids for startups to succeed.

[...]

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com
         Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP    Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org
Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources
Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

It strikes me that IBI can and will continue to educate the public on the merits of biochar. The new grant funding enable the group to be even better.

The work that IBI does needs to enable entrepreneurs who can bring the opportunities to reality. What I propose we think about is setting up an accelerator to fund biochar startups.

Here is an example The University of Chicago advancing quantum technologies.

Quantum as you know, is much earlier stage than biochar!
I’m convinced the economics are there for biochar with carbon credits and tipping fees and all the value applications that have been developed.

Rick

Nadav Ziv

Hello,
I didn't read all comments on this email, so good chance I repeat same issues which other wrote.
Excellent IBI activities that need to keep on going:
1) The newsletter - fantastic resource for us to know what happen in the world.
2) Biochar seminars - allways new directions, high quality. Now also have the green seminar from the UK which is great too.
3) only had one IBI conference yet but it explode my mind and had enormous effect on my biochar business.
4) The last year had shown that carbon sequestration and credit became reality. This has come after long efforts of the IBI team with the IPCC. I belive that more efforts on this direction would help worldwide production business get accreditation from governments as carbon tax.
5) The only new idea I have is good marketing content made by IBI members for other IBI members to share on social media to spread the word. It should be in a popular sci way that everyone can translate to their language with legal pictures to share. Say if I produce good content, I can share it in a special IBI page so everyone can enjoy and share it.

Chars!
Nadav.