Topics

What Wildlife and Conservation Groups Support Biochar? #conservation #wildlife #ngo

Tom Miles

What wildlife and conservation groups support biochar for habitat, forage, water and stream restoration or other purposes? We have done projects for the Sage Grouse Initiative and with Soil and Water Conservation Districts to remove and convert juniper and pinyon pine to biochar to improve rangeland. Do chapters of organizations like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Sierra Club know about the benefits of biochar for habitat improvement, stream and forage restoration?

Tom

Paul McCullough

Sierra Club’s Agriculture and Food Policy promotes biochar to restore the carbon content of our degraded soils and the new Board of Directors initiative for Climate Adaptation and Restoration lists biochar along with other soil carbon sequestration techniques as the low cost, low hanging fruit to achieve the IPCC’s recommendations to implement Negative Emission Technologies. But even among those focusing on Climate Change, awareness of biochar is limited.

From my experience, only a couple of Sierra Club’s staff and almost zero volunteer members know about biochar’s potential for habitat improvement or watershed restoration. When I promote the possibilities to the Water Sentinels or other teams, I’m met with blank looks or negative comments about the dangers from PAHs or land grabs for biofuels. I find there is very little knowledge and much misinformation among so called Green groups regarding the potential of biochar to address any environmental issues.

Paul McCullough Co-Chair
Sierra Club Grassroots Network
Food and Agriculture Team
pdmac@...

On Sep 11, 2020, at 6:31 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

What wildlife and conservation groups support biochar for habitat, forage, water and stream restoration or other purposes? We have done projects for the Sage Grouse Initiative and with Soil and Water Conservation Districts to remove and convert juniper and pinyon pine to biochar to improve rangeland. Do chapters of organizations like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Sierra Club know about the benefits of biochar for habitat improvement, stream and forage restoration?

Tom

Norm Baker

Paul McCullough;

Norm

Tom Miles

Thanks Paul and Norm. We need to do some outreach

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles@...
Sent from mobile.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 8:57 PM, Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:

Paul McCullough;

Norm

Frank Strie

Good links and points of contact Norm , Paul and Tom,
Have just quickly shared the link to the US based Sierra Club and question with various people under Down Under in Tasmania / Australia.
Thanks for the ongoing active & growing  global networking in all things PyCCS  Pyrogenic Carbon Capture & Sequestration.
Best regards from Tassie in full Spring now
Frank again

Inline image 1

Schwabenforest Pty. Ltd.
Karin & Frank Strie
82 Brady’s Lookout Road
Rosevears, TAS, 7277
ph: 6394 4395
m: 61 (0) 417 312 927
Skype: Frank Strie terrapreta …

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FranksCharTasmania
website: https://www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au/products

Member of the International Biochar Initiative
www.biochar-international.org

Associated with: the Biochar Journal & the Ithaka Institute
www.biochar-journal.org/en

The original home base of Australian Wilderness Adventures -
Trek Tours Australia
https://www.trektoursaustralia.com.au

https://www.trektasmania.com.au , Tarkine Trails

Thanks Paul and Norm. We need to do some outreach

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.

Sent from mobile.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 8:57 PM, Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:

Paul McCullough;

Norm

Tom Stephan <tom@...>

The Sierra Club paper is an excellent introductory tool that I plan to use soon at a particular city municipality to promote bio char. The links provided were a world of knowledge. Thank you.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 10:10 PM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:
Thanks Paul and Norm. We need to do some outreach

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
Sent from mobile.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 8:57 PM, Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:

Paul McCullough;

Norm

Paul McCullough

Thanks Norm,

I shared this info with the Food & Ag Team and the Climate Adaptation Team. I’d like to see us expand the info on water related issues.

Paul

On Sep 12, 2020, at 11:55 PM, Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:

Paul McCullough;

Norm
_._,_._,_

Paul McCullough

Hi Tom,

I agree that outreach to environmental groups is needed. The new soil scientist for the Nature Conservancy, Deborah Bossio, has at least some understanding of biochar. I watched a good webinar on soil carbon credits with her, Debbie Reed and others last week.

Here’s an article from Carbon Brief featuring Bossio where she mentions biochar. https://www.carbonbrief.org/restoring-soils-could-remove-up-to-5-5bn-tonnes-of-greenhouse-gases-every-year

Paul

On Sep 13, 2020, at 1:10 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Thanks Paul and Norm. We need to do some outreach

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
Sent from mobile.
_._,_._,_

Norm Baker

My pleasure, Paul. Feel free to add the water issues and heavy metals issues.

Norm